Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I Have Not Yet Reached That Age... or maybe i have....

There is an age at which adults need to realize and accept that they are no longer teens. That their bodies have more rule on them than they have on their bodies. 

Today my students got to go on a field trip to Skate Heaven, Roller Skate Rink.  And they begged to come roller skating with them.  I was good, really good at roller skating in highschool.  But it's been a good 9 or 10 years since i last put on a pair of roller skates.  But I gave it a shot.

I can still roller skate.  And i still do decently well.  I got a few kids of mine going at a decent pass on their own, and i had a good time and a good work out.

And then I learned how much more it hurts to fall when you're older.

So it was time to get back on the bus and return to school.  I got one of my students off the rink and went to check on her older sister who'd just fallen.  After she was up on her feet again i circled around to leave the rink and help my students get their skates off and turned back in.

One of the "Refs", those employed by the rink to keep watch over the rink, in the rink, and I collided.  He didn't realize i was exiting the rink and tried to cut between the exit and myself.  I couldn't stop, neither could he.

He hit hard.  I heard him lose his breath. I didn't hit as hard as he did, but i did hit my elbow off of his knee.  I have a nice lump and bruise on my elbow.

Lovely...

But i had fun and so did my students

No comments:

Post a Comment