Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day 2012

On Memorial Day I normally pull the music video "Arlington" by Trace Atkins and put that with a few poems and a thank you to all the soldiers who have served.

Today I began thinking about those who i know who have served in the military and have served in various wars.  As the list got longer and longer i realized how lucky I am, as everyone I know and care about have come home safely, well at least alive.

Some explinations:  *R - retired  *AD - active duty  *SU - Status Unknown :  *M - Marines
 *A - Army   *AF - Air Force  *N - Navy   : *POW


Uncle Danny O'Donnell (great uncle) - *R:*AF:*A (RIP - 2006)

Mr. Don Gilson (family friend) - *R:*A

Mr. Dave Glover (friend's father) - *R:*A: *POW - Vietnam

Uncle "Major" John Skovran ( great uncle) - *R: *A - Major

Aunt Karen Skovran (great aunt) - *AD: *A - Seargant

Adam Altimus (my best friend's brother) - *R : *A -  afghanistan

Mike Haines (friend from HS) - *AD *A -Afghanistan and Iraq

Beth Kurtz (friend) - *AD *A - chaplain,  Afghanistan

Lee "Buddy" Harvey (friend) - *SU:*A -Ranger -Afghanistan & Iraq - Injured in line of duty.

Eric Leer (friend) - *R *A : *AD *N

Tim Vogt (friend's husband) - *R *N

Daniel "DJ" Hawks (cousin) - *R *AF

I am sure there are others that i know who have served, and I am sorry if I have missed your name. 

Freedom is not Free.  Sometimes it costs time with friends and families, some times it requires a life.  These people were and are willing to make that sacrafice if needed.

While I want to thank all those who served, I want to send a special thanks to those I personally know who have served.

Thank You!


Greater love has no one that this, that he lay down his life for his friends.
John 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment